Whilst the current house is believed to have been largely re-built around 1895, it is constructed on the footprint of an older house, ‘The Medina Hermitage’, which was the seat of Michael Hoy. Born in 1758, Hoy became a successful merchant who established strong trading links with Russia and resided there for some years working for The Russia Company and later served as a Sheriff of London. The original house is shown in an engraving dated 1824 by the celebrated Island artist George Brannon. Michael Hoy also had the nearby Hoy monument, also called the Alexandrian Pillar, erected at the top of St Catherine’s Down.
The house, having been a private home, has been run as a boutique guest house in recent years.